Saturday, December 8, 2012

Animals Are Cute, Let's Not Eat Them.

Day one of my vegan trial. 

And so far so good.

A friend of mine posted a video on Facebook not long ago, which accompanied a short paragraph explaining her views on veganism and why her way of life, so to speak, is as it is. Already knowing of her anti animal cruelty views, I liked the post without watching the video. 
Later that day, however, something compelled me to watch it.

And I have never ever been so horrified in my life. 

I sat screaming and crying in front of my computer screen, watching the most horrific, inhumane, demonic, violent and merciless acts of cruelty inflicted on pigs, hens, cows, fish and their innocent young. The cruelest acts of violence, so cruel I will not speak of them, inflicted on God's creatures. For what? For our food.
I sat there screaming and crying as if it were me being kicked repeatedly in the head, starved, gassed, scalded and cut and skinned alive. I screamed and cried as if it were my babies being ripped from my womb, mutated as they squealed and shrieked for their mother, only to be hit with metal poles and thrown into bins. 
My eyes had never seen such horror, and my mind had certainly never even thought it possible.

So, needless to say, I have decided to try veganism. I don't know how well this is going to go. I don't even know if it will last. I don't actually think I'll even like it, but all I know is there is no way in heaven or hell that I could have watched that and done nothing about it. 
So my trial began today, and will last for a month. No animal products whatsoever. For someone who was a sucker for grilled chicken, eggs on toast and a nice fat steak every now and then, this may prove to be hard and arduous. 
But I will not eat such products if that is how it ends up in our supermarkets and fridges. 

No comments:

Post a Comment