Monday, August 23, 2010

The Ballerina Wanna-Be.


Last year it was Street Latin. And in fact, I trialled it at a dance studio one evening. I would have pursued if the teachers were not so terrible at teaching.
This year though, it's ballet. Oh, isn't it just beautiful? There isn't anything I dont love about ballet.
I love the leotards and the tutus. I love the tightly coiled buns, with not a single hair out of place. And I love, love, love ballet shoes, and watching when the ballerinas dance 'en pointe'. I think it's the most graceful and elegant thing I've ever seen in my entire life.
That's why to this day, my biggest regret is having not learnt ballet as a child. Oh, how I wish my mother had enrolled me in ballet.
What did she enroll me in instead? Swimming classes.
Alright, so I know how to swim, and in fact, as a result of how often I used to swim, I'm a rather strong swimmer; but what did i acquire along with good water skills? Broad shoulders.
I can get out of a rip in about fifteen seconds, and I could do backstroke in my sleep, but can I plie'
gracefully, or memorize all six positions?
I'd have to be dreaming.

I've considered starting ballet now, but being fifteen years old and having a not-so-ballet-like body, not to mention my lack of flexibility, I don't know how well I'd go.
Sometimes I watch how the ballerinas dance, and notice that I could do some of the things they do. If I practiced moving lighter on my feet, then I'd have no trouble being graceful.
If I had a pair of Blochs, I think I too could dance 'en pointe'. I can already do all the arm movements, I just need some balance.
Oh, not to mention their ability to live their legs over their heads, etc.

Maybe I'm kidding myself. Who knows though, maybe I was born to be a ballerina?
Maybe one day, I'll slip on some Blochs, and it will all come naturally. Or not.
But one can always hope..

No comments:

Post a Comment