Thursday, August 5, 2010

We Can Be Heroes!

Does anyone remember that song? Or that TV show? I do. Not a big fan of either of them, really.

What I wanted to say was, I'm not very pleased. I'm not just a grumpy person, believe me. I'm always very positive and optimistic. But some things make me rather unhappy. Would you like to know why?
I'll tell you why.

Because tonight, I'm going to have a hot, wholesome and nourishing meal with my family. I'm going to sit in my comfortable lounge room and do my homework, because my education is important to me and I want to contribute towards it.
Then I'm probably going to bathe under a nice warm shower, in a clean bathroom with clean water, and dry myself with a big fluffy towel.
And then, if I have nothing else to do, I'll get into my lovely comfortable pyjamas and curl up in my warm, heated bed and get a peaceful nights sleep.
And if I don't fall asleep right away, I might listen to some music on my i-Pod touch, or maybe watch some movies on it.


You're probably going to do something similar aren't you?

Thought so.

Because a life like yours and mine is so pleasant and easy. So complete. Maybe you don't have an Apple MacBook, or a Versace handbag, or a super shiny car that goes three times as fast as it would ever need to.
Maybe you don't have everything. Maybe there are somethings you really want, but don't have.
But that's okay, because at least you have food in your stomach.
At least you have four walls around you, and a roof over your head. At least you have a comfortable warm bed to sleep in, and I'm guessing you'd also have gas and electricity too? Yes? I thought so.

Because if you've got those things, you already have it better than people in the third world countries.
Why?
Because I bet none of you- none of you- have ever had to live without food in your stomachs, or clean water to survive on.

That is what makes me unhappy. That you and I get to live our wonderful lives, and people are out there literally wasting away.
That's why next weekend, I'm taking part in the World Vision's 40 Hour Famine. I'm giving up food, technology and furniture for 40 hours, to raise money for the people who need our help. I'd give up more, but I don't really know what else to sacrifice.

If anyone is reading this, and thinking that they might like to sponsor me, I'm going to set up a online fundraiser, but in the meantime, you can email me at: ilovelopsy@hotmail.com.

I once read in a book- ' When you are born, you are given a little peace of the universe. You can damage it, you can look after it, or you can change it. But when you die, you have to give it back. What you do with it, is your call.'

I decided looking after my little part of the universe wasn't good enough. I'm going to change it. I want to be a hero.
What are you going to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment