Thursday, August 12, 2010

Oh, Dear Me!

I'm not the world's most popular person. Heck, to be entirely honest, I'm not the schools most popular person. But I have a lot of friends.
Once again though, I'm not satisfied. I want a penpal. From the other side of the world.

I did have a penpal, once. He was my cousin. But there's something slightly boring about writing to someone you already know. Even if he did live in a totally different continent. It's still not exciting.

So I decided to join a penpal website. How else is one supposed to find someone to write to? Message in a bottle maybe? Not anymore; these days I'd be prosecuted for polluting.
The penpal website has thousands of people, and, much to my delight, from all over the world. Even places that I didn't know existed.
But do you click on a profile, and start chatting away, just like that? How does it work these days? I don't use internet chat sites.

The thing is, I want to write letters to people. With a pen, and a piece of pretty writing paper. I want to start with 'Dear..' and end with 'Please write back, from..', and then fold it up and slip it into an envelope.
Then I want to write the address, and walk to the mailbox a few blocks down, and mail it to them.
And then I want to anticipate the reply, that will follow in a matter of days. Oh the art of letter writing shalln't ever die.

But no luck just yet.

If the penpal site doesn't work, maybe it's worth risking a $300 fine for littering in the ocean..

No comments:

Post a Comment